November the Cookbook Club is making breads, savory, sweet, flatbreads, yeasted breads, leavened, buns and more! There is much news to share about the restaurant scene in Barrie, hence our many lists in this posting!
Movember Food Specials!
Barnstormer Brewing is donating $1 from every Movember Pizza Special ordered to Gildas Club Simcoe Muskoka. Featured Movember Pizza: Sausage, Hot Peppers, Green Peppers, Onions, and a Spicy BBQ Sauce. They will also be combining CFL games with Movember and feature different specials and giveaways throughout the month so stay tuned for Mo’ Specials.
- Sticky Fingers Bar and Grill has opened a North end location, it is in the old Diamond Buffet location at 150 Dunlop Street. Their tentative opening date is December 1st. Check their Facebook page for their entertainment line up.
- Chocolate lovers beware! J’Adore Fine Cheese and Chocolate Shop has opened at 111 Dunlop Street E. beside Flying Monkeys Brewery. They have over 100 types of cheese and a variety of chocolates in their romantic Paris-themed shop. They cater. You can enjoy a gourmet soup or a personalized cheese plate during lunch hour.
- Taj Bistro opened in May 2014. I finally got around to eating here yesterday and tried the Indian menu. The Chicken Tikka Lababdar had the lovely addition of paneer and fried spinach. The naan bread had fresh garlic pieces in it and the Indian Cardemum Flavoured Tea was a nice addition to my meal.
- Newmarket based Made in Mexico Restaurant and Cantina, featured on You Gotta Eat Here is opening a second location in Barrie. If you want truly authentic Mexican then make the trip to LaMexiCanada Restaurant in Bradford.
- Canvas and Cabernet opened in September 2014. Enjoy a little wine and a little paint.
Barrie (and area) Food News & Reviews
- If you haven’t already got one visit a local participating business in Downtown Barrie to get your loyalty card and start saving! Learn more about this rewards program in this Simcoe.com article – Barrie businesses welcome universal loyalty card and visit vicinityrewards.ca
- David’s Tea is open at the Georgian Mall just in time for the cold weather and holiday season.
- Local Foods Mart recently opened a café under their store front. Fresh foods made from ingredients from the store, nice atmosphere and good food! Menu changes daily. Sign-up for their newsletter.
- Local Foods Supper Club: Thursday, November 27 at 7:00PM in The Café at Local Foods Mart 123 Dunlop St E, Barrie. A hot, hearty, four-course meal, made using the delicious ingredients from our store, and sourced from nearby farms and producers. Menu: Harvest Soup, Smoked Trout Salad, Pastured Beef with Sunchoke Purée and Seasonal Vegetables, Apple Tarte Tatin. Tickets: $35 per person, only 16 seats available. Please notify us of any food allergies when you purchase your ticket.
Restaurant recommendation of the month
Lazy Tulip Café is a great place to meet friends. I enjoyed the Barrie Fresh vegetarian wrap from their lunch menu and recommend the Dirty Chai tea. I can’t wait to go back and try the Golden Milk latte. During the month of November they have Sunday Brunch Live with PJ & Oli. The brunch menu has many vegetarian options.
- Best Health Food Store – Nutrition Plus
- Favourite Thai Restaurant – Thai Bamboo
- Favourite Ribs – Big Chris BBQ Smokehouse
- Favourite Fish and Chips – Danny’s Fish & Chips (originally from Scarborough – 1974)
- Favourite Decorative Cake – Cakes by Design
- Favourite Pizza – Pie Wood Fired Pizza Joint (You Gotta Eat Here)
- Favourite Italian – Gio’s Italian Ristorante (Gio’s is one of the local restaurants featured in the Costco promotions get two $50 gift certificates for $79).
- Favourite Sandwich and Caterer – Fresh-A-Fare A sandwich and a cookie, can’t have one without the other here! They also sell fresh bread, spreads and soups to go.
- Favourite Wings – Wild Wing South and West Barrie
- Favourite Hamburger – South St. Burger Co.
- Favourite Butcher – The Butcher Shop
- Favourite Outdoor Patio, Pub, Bar and Overall Service – Donaleigh’s Irish Public House
- Favourite Bakery – Fox’s Bakery & Deli
Stay tuned for the BPL Cookbook Club Favourite Hidden Gems Restaurants List next month!