June is the cookbook club’s final meeting until the fall. We were BBQ’ing in June. I have compiled a list of Grilling resources (with some recipes) and local BBQ restaurants.
To keep you busy this summer I have included some foodie books and local food events.
Get Grilling, try these resources:
- Guy on Fire: 130 Recipes for Adventures in Outdoor Cooking by Guy Fieri
- America’s Most Wanted Recipes at the Grill Recreate your Favorite Restaurant Meals in your Own Backyard! by Ron Douglas
- Here are some more BBQ books that you can borrow from the library.
- Grilled White North http://www.grilledwhitenorth.ca/ (blog)
- Napolean Grills has recipes, grilling basics and BBQ maintenance tips
- See what vegetables are in season on Foodland Ontario’s website this summer and try grilling them on the BBQ. Also try their recipes. I think the Barbecued Pork Ribs with Peach Sauce and Southwest Caesar Salad with Grilled Steak sound especially tasty!
- Harvest Ontario also has some good recipes, including this Grilled Butterflied Homegrown Ontario Turkey Breast
- Amazing Ribs.com – The science of BBQ & Grilling
- Food Network BBQ Guide It’s asparagus season and this recipe sounds delicious Planked Asparagus Bundles with Cheese & Prosciutto
BBQ Restaurants in Barrie:
Travelling this summer? Here is a list of the Top 10 BBQ Restaurants in Ontario (2012 list)
Foodie Books to read over the summer:
- Rachel Reichl’s Delicious! (fiction)
- The Third Plate: Field Notes on the Future of Food by Dan Barber
- My Paris Kitchen: Recipes and Stories by David Lebovitz
- The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon (vegan cooking)
- Vegan Ice Cream: Over 90 Sinfully Delicious Dairy-free Delights by Jeff Rogers
- Michael Symon’s 5 in 5 by Michael Symon
- The Chopped Cookbook Use What You’ve Got to Cook Something Great
- Paleo Approach Cookbook by Sarah Ballantyne
Summer Food events:
- June 2-8 – Local Food Week – various events in Ontario
- Saturday, June 14 9am-5pm – Canada’s Gluten-Free Market, presented by the Canadian Celia Association
- Saturday, June 14, King City Craft Beer and Food Truck Festival
- Thursday, July 3 – Sunday July 6 – Downtown Barrie Craft Beer & BBQ Festival
- July (dates to be determined) BARRIELICIOUS, Restaurants throughout Barrie and area, Try a diversity of culinary experiences at independent restaurants in Barrie and area featuring three course price fixed menus.
- Thursday, July 24 – BBQ Sizzle at the Innisfil Farmer’s Market
- August 1 – 4 – KEMPENFEST at Waterfront Parks , One of the largest outdoor arts and crafts festivals. Buy handcrafted kitchen items and stock up on homemade sauces, seasonings, snacks and more.
- Sunday August 24th – Savour Simcoe, Tickets $59/person. This annual local culinary tasting event showcases local farm/food/beverage business’ and the culinary talents of local chefs. It is hosted by Simcoe County Farm Fresh Marketing Association.
Find more local food events in the Simcoe County Farm Fresh calendar.