Everyone really enjoyed Jessica from Rawlicious’ visit. We learned a lot about raw food and a raw lifestyle. I am sure that more than a few of us will be going to sample some of Rawlicious’ food after last evenings meeting. Jessica recommended if you are new to raw food to try something you can’t make at home – a dehydrated menu item.
A few books she recommended were:
- The China Study by Dr. Colin T. Campbell (His new book Whole and The China Study Cookbook are on order – place your holds today!) He is featured in the movies Planeat and Forks Over Knives, and Vegucated.
- Life Force by Brian Clement (we also own his Supplements Exposed & The Raw Food Revolution Diet) *This was another of Jessica’s favourite books.*
- Gorilla Food by Aaron Ash
- Superfoods by David Wolfe
- Eat Well Eat Raw by Douglas McNish (Jessica’s ‘go to’ recipe book)
- Forks Over Knives book, cookbook & DVD.
Jessica also mentioned the Rawluck that the Barrie Raw Food Meet-up Group does twice a month. Here is the link to this Thursday May 9th’s Rawluck. You bring one raw dish and pay $5 at the door to participate in this potluck.
Jessica suggested a few Raw products to try including Raw (Sun) Warrior product – Brown Rice Protein Powder which is available at Upaya Naturals Online or Nutrition Plus check other local Barrie health food stores as well. She also mentioned Spirulina a dietary supplement (can be found at health food stores) and goji berries (which can be found at health food, grocery or bulk stores) which some of you may be interested in checking out further.
Local Raw Restaurants:
- Rawlicious in Barrie
- In addition to Rawlicious Jessica recommended Collingwood’s Pure Food Bar
- Fresh in Toronto as a way to ease into Raw food
- LiveFoodBar in Toronto
- Belmonte Raw in Toronto
DISHCRAWL – New Barrie Foodie Event!!!
If you want to try out Rawlicious they are on tonight’s (Wednesday, May 8th, 2013) Dishcrawl along with Painter’s Hall and two other mystery restaurants. Dishcrawl involves signing up to do a restaurant food crawl (like a pub crawl) to 4 mystery restaurants for $60 per person. You start off with appetizers and finish with dessert, staying at each restaurant for around 45 minutes each. They have 6 TICKETS LEFT – BUY NOW! They can offer vegetarian options. All ticket holders will be notified of the meeting location via email, 48 hours prior to the event. Follow them on Twitter @dishcrawlbar or sign-up for e-mail notifications on their website to hear about future events.
Also happening this Saturday, May 25th is the 5th Annual Taste The World (A culinary adventure) starting at 6pm which is an event of the Kempenfelt Rotary Club and their partner IOOF Seniors Homes Inc.