Interesting find: Here is a compilation of Recipe Comix, choose a recipe to follow in comic format from Saveur magazine’s website.
Late Evening Sunday Thai Meal
I was overly enthusiastic and hungry when I chose 4!!! recipes to make for my Sunday meal, we ate late. All my recipes came from Easy Thai Cooking: 75 Family-Style Dishes you can Prepare in Minutes.
I made the Grilled Chicken Wings with Tangy Chili Glaze, Green Mango and Cashew Salad, Garlic Soy Mushrooms, and Asian Greens with Roasted Garlic. For most of these recipes the ‘preperation time’ doesn’t calculate enough time for the cutting, peeling, juicing, grating, grinding/blending, etc. so give yourself some extra time if cooking from this book to prepare all your fresh ingredients.
Grilled Chicken Wings with Tangy Chili Glaze (doubled):
- Used recommended substitution of lime zest instad of kaffir lime leaves
- Glaze – substituted sweet chili sauce as I had no chili paste in soy bean oil, nor did Zehrs carry it. I left out the sugar since this was a sweet sauce
- Used a 1/2 tbsp of honey
- Baked in the oven @ 350 for 30 minutes vs. grilled
- NOTE: Use less fish sauce if you don’t like your wings to taste too ‘fishy
Green Mango and Cashew Salad:
- It is easier to have unripe mangos as one was semi-ripe and it was harder to cut ‘match sticks’ out of this mango.
- It was hard to create the ‘coarse paste’ puree using either my mortar and pestle or the processor. I ended up with a slightly mashed and finely diced mixture which still worked out fine.
- I used two green chilies instead of 4. Delicious with a nice spice.
Garlic Soy Mushrooms:
- Again hard to grind a paste using either my mortar and pestle or the processor. I ended up with a slightly mashed and finely diced mixture which still worked out fine.
- Couldn’t find yellow bean paste so I just used romano beans. Yellow bean paste is made from soy beans so I could have substituted that if I had known.
- Didn’t see the need to stir-fry the mushrooms in half batches as I saw no difference when I did it this way.
Asian Greens with Roasted Garlic – turned out nicely
Chantale – BPL Staff