Did you know?
The Songkran festival in Thailand is celebrated as the traditional New Year’s Day from 13 to 15 April. “The word Songkran is from the Sanskrit meaning the beginning of a new Solar Year, but nowadays Thailand celebrates the New Year on 31 December” – Source.
Sample Thai Food
- JANUARY – Barrie’s Winterlicious ‘Blizzard edition’ is here http://www.barrielicious.com/! This food festival is the best way to try a new local restaurant. Running January 18th – February 3rd. Try one of the Thai restaurants in the line-up and tell the club about it at our February meeting: Chaopaya Thai Restaurant & Green Mango Tree Thai Fusion .
- JULY – Explore Thai and Asean culture and food at the biggest Thai Community event in Canada held in Toronto – the annual Taste of Thailand in July.
Travel to Thailand in your armchair
- Find a fiction book to read that is set in Thailand here or watch a movie. Why not travel to Thailand and experience the food for yourself? OR,
- Attend the next Around the World in 60 Minutes: Vancouver & Victoria program at the Downtown library on Thursday, February 28th from 7-8pm.
- Get fit – Taoist Tai Chi or Shuhari Martial Arts in Barrie.
- Get a Thai massage at BelRoze Massage therapy, Virtue Yoga or Adams Massage Therapy and Wellness Centre in Barrie.
Get Cooking Thai Food
- Find Thai cookbooks at the library here.
- Thai essential herbs and spices.
- Thai Street Vendor Video Series – “Enjoy watching the treasured Thai street vendor in action. There’s no better way to learn how to cook Thai food.”
- Explore Pinterest for Thai recipes http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=thai+food
Thai Restaurants to try in Barrie:
- Royal Thai Cuisine (A personal favourite of mine)
- Chaopaya Thai Restaurant
- Green Mango Tree – Thai fusion (Great food in the South end of Barrie in a nice atmosphere)
- Thai Bamboo Restaurant
- Phan’s Thai Cuisine
- Lee’s Kitchen Chinese and Thai Cuisine
Happy Cooking, I can’t wait to see your creations!
Chantale – BPL staff